Saturday, February 28, 2015

"Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us" by Christensen

Argument
Linda Christensen argues that the media like TV shows, commercial, books, and magazines set  unrealistic expectations for children and they display many stereotypes. She focuses on Disney and Loony Tunes in particular.  Christensen states, "Children's cartoons, movies, and literature are perhaps the most influential genre "read". Young people, unprotected by intellectual armor, hear or watch these stories again and again, often from the warmth of their mother's or Father's lap" (page 127). This quote is stating how she believes since children are so young and influential media has subtle stereotypes and expectations that are placed into the brains of the young children with out them even realizing.  She refers to this as "secret education".
For example, Christensen points out an episode of the Popeye cartoon, "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves". In this episode Popeye is battling the "Arabs with the same face, same turban, same body,-- and they are all thieves swinging enormous swords"(page 130). This is a perfect example of whiteness from SCWAAMP. Popeye and his men are portrayed as the good guys and they end up wining, while the Arabs all look the same, they are thieves, and in the end the lose.
Another example from the same Popeye episode is when Popeye puts a dog leash on Olive Oyl because he has to help her make it through the dessert. When I read this I was so surprised, so I went and found this episode of Popeye and watched it. When Popeye had the leash on her, Olive Oyl looked like a camel. This part of the episode was portraying women as animals. At the very beginning of the episode Popeye wasn't going to let Olive Oyl come because she was a woman. He said,"This ain't nothing for women, were out hunting bad men". This also is relates to SCWAAMP showing how maleness is valued and the men are superior.
I believe throughout "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us" Christensen makes good points even though I don't want to believe them. As a child I loved watching Disney movies and many of the other shows she mentioned and I never noticed the stereotypes. I was obsessed with the Disney princesses and when I was really little I would dress up as a different princess each day so that made it difficult to read this article. I'm not going to lie my feelings may have been a little hurt since I loved the movies so much and she pointed out many negatives. I guess I'm one of the many students that "don't want to believe they have been manipulated by children media or advertising"(page 128) and I'm okay with that.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you had a lot of great points! So I did my post as an extended comments off of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that this article was a little difficult to read because I'm a huge Disney fan too but I also found the article very interesting.

    ReplyDelete