Sunday, February 22, 2015

"Safe Spaces" by August

Reflection

I found this article by August very interesting to read. The author brought up many points about being and LGBT student in America. This subject in a very sensitive subject in most schools today. A lot of teachers don't know how to properly handle having and LGBT student in their class. "Many perhaps most, teachers pretend not to hear anti-gay comments" (page 97).  This quote points out how teachers aren't stoping the bullying or don't know how to stop it. I feel like many teachers ignore the issue for couple reasons. Some teachers may not know how to approach the situation or they could think it is a harmless comment. I remember being at my high school and people would say "thats gay" or "you're gay" all the time and very rarely would a teacher say something about it. I don't think that was right, they should have tried harder to stop it. Like August said "LGBT students need advocacy and protection, not neutrality" (page 84). The teachers need to stand up for their students and not just push the issue aside. 
One quote that really stood out to me was "heterosexism is one of those unexamined avenues of privilege. Assumptions that everyone is (or should be) heterosexual shape most of classroom interactions, whether academic or social" (page 84). This reminded me of SCWAAMP. In America, Straightness is whats accepted and valued. If you are anything but straight you are looked at different and thats not right.
The article points out two main problems with LGBT students not being able to find comfort in their schools. These problems come from the curriculum and communication. The curriculum talks about the LGBT community as little as possible. The american school system doesn't only ignore the issue of LGBT students but they ignore many other issues. The history books we read aren't very accurate. Many important facts are left out. Also, schools have a list of banned books because they are "inappropriate".  In high school,  I feel like you should be able to read whatever book you want. The government and schools shouldn't ban books because of their topic, language, or even they type of family represented. "While it might seem to be the safest and least political of all curriculum units, the study of family can either reinforce or interrupt heteronormative beliefs and attitudes" (page 85). As said before straightness is what's accepted and by not talking about the family types in school, the problem with LGBT students gets pushed aside and the bullying continues.
This article along with others we have read in class, reminded me of a video I saw on Facebook a couple months ago. It's of three girls from Get Lit. Get lit is a program that improves a teen's literacy through poems. Their poems are about issues in america. This one in particular address the issues of the curriculum, poverty, weight, and even sexual orientation.
After watching the poem and reading the articles, I feel like people are trying to address the issue in the school's curriculum. Like there are many things not being said or done to protect those who are different. 
Topic point: Why are so many people not accepting towards LGBT's? 

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed you post because it is very informative and you brought up very important points. I liked the video that you picked everything from the video was very interesting but this quote in specific caught my attention “just because something happened it doesn't mean we are allow to talk about it” at the end of the video I was like wow!!! You did a great job Jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed you post because it is very informative and you brought up very important points. I liked the video that you picked everything from the video was very interesting but this quote in specific caught my attention “just because something happened it doesn't mean we are allow to talk about it” at the end of the video I was like wow!!! You did a great job Jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a shame that so many teachers do not know how to handle LGBT students and just let other students get away with bullying and emotional abuse. My high school class also used to always say "that's so gay." It used to irritate the living daylights out of me! The video was very powerful and had some excellent points. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have watched a lot of videos that the Get Lit organization has on their youtube channel, and they are all so powerful. I really like the fact that you chose to put this video on your post, as it brings up a lot of great points. You also did a great job with your reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have watched that video before and was actually going to mention it in class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked how you connected the article to SCWAAMP. Also, I really liked your video. I had never seen it before and it was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great reflection. Having gone to the same high school as you I can agree that teachers would hardly do anything to stop students from saying things like "that's gay". I also really liked the video!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the Get Lit spoken word piece is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete